Lucknow: Showing the stern-most stance against 'incapable' officers Yogi Adityanath govt of Uttar Pradesh has prematurely retired three IPS officers on Tuesday. One of these three officers Inspector General Amitabh Thakur, IPS officer of the 1992 batch, disclosed his retirement on Twitter, attaching a copy of the orders issued by the Union government. Thakur was currently posted as the Joint Director (Civil Defence). Earlier on Tuesday, Thakur in a Hindi tweet said, "I received my retirement orders. The government does not need my service, Jai Hind."
"अमिताभ ठाकुर को लोकहित में सेवा में बनाये रखे जाने के उपयुक्त न पाते हुए लोकहित में तात्कालिक प्रभाव से सेवा पूर्ण होने से पूर्व सेवानिवृत किये जाने का निर्णय लिया गया है." pic.twitter.com/nkPFTBIuvk— AmitabhThakur (@Amitabhthakur) March 23, 2021
The other two officers are Rakesh Shankar and Rajesh Krishna. Rakesh Shankar was a 2002-batch DIG and was promoted to the IPS from the Provincial Police Service. Posted as DIG (Establishment) Shankar was accused of a suspicious role in the Deoria Shelter Home episode. While Rajesh Krishna, an SP of the 2005 batch, also a promotee IPS officer from UP provincial civil services was accused of scam in police recruitment in Azamgarh. His last posting was as commander SP, 10 Battalions Barabanki.
"The Union government in its order dated March 17 found 1992-batch IPS officer Amitabh Thakur unfit to remain in service and in public interest decided to give him retirement with immediate effect before completing his service tenure," said UP Chief Secretary (Home) Awanish Kumar Awasthi. Thakur was to retire in June 2028 while the promotee IPS officers were to retire in June 2023 and April 2024. There are several cases lodged against the officers, Awasthi added.
Thakur was at loggerheads both with the current BJP and previous Samajwadi Party governments. In 2016, Thakur had written twice to the Union Home Ministry, seeking a change in his cadre. The officer had alleged that UP government officials were treating him as a 'sworn enemy' and cited a threat to his life. He had expressed his inability to continue working in the prevailing conditions and demanded that he be shifted out of the state.
The Centre in January 2017 turned down his request. Thakur was suspended on July 13, 2015, days after he had accused the then Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav of threatening him. He had made public an audio recording, in which the SP leader had allegedly threatened him.
Thereafter, the state government initiated a Vigilance inquiry against him. Later, the Lucknow bench of the Central Administrative Tribunal stayed the suspension of Thakur and ordered his reinstatement with full salary with effect from October 11, 2015.
Thakur was posted as the Joint Director (Civil Defence) on May 17, 2018.
(PSU Watch- India's Business News centre that places the spotlight on PSUs, Bureaucracy, Defence and Public Policy is now on Telegram & Twitter as well. Join PSU Watch Channel in your Telegram and follow us on Twitter to stay updated)