Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB)
The Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) is a high powered body constituted by the Government of India. The PESB has been set up with the objective of evolving a sound managerial policy for the Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) and, in particular, to advise the government on appointments to their top management posts. The board is responsible for:
1. Selection and placement of personnel in the posts of Chairman, Managing Director (MD) or Chairman-cum-Managing Director (CMD) (Level-I), and functional Director (Level-II) in PSEs as well as in posts at any other level as may be specified by the government.
2. To advise the Government on matters relating to appointments, confirmation or extension of tenure and termination of services of the personnel of the above-mentioned levels;
3. To advise the Government on the desired structure at the Board level, and, for senior management personnel, for each PSE or group of PSEs;
4. To advise the Government on a suitable performance appraisal system for both the PSEs and the managerial personnel in such enterprises;
5. To build a data bank containing data relating to the performance of PSEs and its officers;
6. To advise the Government on formulation and enforcement of a code of conduct and ethics for managerial personnel in PSEs;
7. To advise the Government on evolving suitable training and development programs for management personnel in PSEs.