Kolkata: Whether it is about being the first Shipyard of Independent India to build a Seaward Defence Boat or it is being the first Defence Public Sector Undertaking shipyard to get listed in Stock Exchange, GRSE has always been the flagbearer of excellence in defence manufacturing PSUs.
Here is a compilation of some outstanding 'firsts' that the miniratna defence PSU bosts of, proudly.
- First Shipyard of Independent India to build a Seaward Defence Boat (SDB): INS Ajay was delivered to the Indian Navy in 1961. This ship was later gifted to Bangladesh and was renamed as BNS Surma.
- First Ever Patrol Vessel built for Indian Coast Guard: December 23, 1980, would remain a red letter day in the history of both GRSE & Indian Coast Guard when the first ever Patrol Vessel built for Indian Coast Guard CGS Rajhans was commissioned.
- First Ever Indigenous Survey Vessel: The first Survey Vessel for the Indian Navy was also designed and built by GRSE. This ship, INS Sandhayak, was commissioned on February 1981.
- The Landing Ship Tanks built by GRSE were termed as Landing Ship Tanks (Large) in order to differentiate from the medium-sized LSTs, then in service with Indian Navy. The First of Class LST (L) designed in-house & built by GRSE, INS Magar was commissioned in 1987.
- Only Indian Shipyard to have built a Fleet Replenishment Tanker: INS Aditya, the largest built Fleet Replenishment Tanker was delivered to the Indian Navy in March 2000.
- First Indian Shipyard to have built Hovercrafts: GRSE has built a total of six Hovercrafts for the Indian Coast Guard. The First Hovercraft, H-181, was commissioned on September 18, 2000.
- First Ever Warship Built in Indian for Export: CGS Barracuda was commissioned at Port Louis, Mauritius on March 12, 2015, in the august presence of Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi and Hon’ble Prime Minister of Mauritius, Sir Anerood Jagnauth. This was a historic occasion for India and GRSE in particular. The in-house design and construction of this first ever export warship of the country has been yet another feather in the cap of GRSE.
- First Indian Shipyard to integrate carbon composite superstructure with steel hull on board 3rd ASW Corvette, INS Kiltan delivered to Indian Navy on October 14, 2017.
- First Defence Public Sector Undertaking shipyard to get listed in Stock Exchange on October 10, 2018.
- First Defence PSU to go live on TReDS Platform on August 9, 2018.