Bangalore: BEML Limited, a Miniratna PSU under the Ministry of Defence and premier manufacturer of metro cars in India, has flagged off the last train set for Kolkata Metro (East-West) project from its Metro coach factory at Bangalore Complex on Tuesday.
BEML LImited's Chairman & Managing Director (CMD) Deepak Kumar Hota has flagged-off the metro train set in the presence of Directors and other senior officials of BEML & KMRCL (Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Limited).
BEML had secured the contract for 14 train sets (6 cars each), valued at approx 900 crores from Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation.
We are on track, as we despatched the last of the 14 trainsets for Kolkata Metro (East-West) project for KMRCL: BEML's CMD DK Hota
BEML independently completed the design, manufacturing activities and the delivery of the prototype train set was done during March 2018, which was subjected to extensive testing and trials on KMRC mainline including statutory testing by RDSO & CRS and cleared all the tests. Subsequently, BEML built KMRC trainsets were put to revenue operation since February 2020 and are operating satisfactorily. Further, six train sets are ready for deployment in revenue operation.
The revenue service was inaugurated by Union Minister of Railways & Commerce Piyush Goyal in presence of Babul Supriyo (Union Minister of State for Environment. Forest & Climate Change) on February 13, 2020, at Kolkata. While taking a ride in the metro car the Minister lauded BEML for introducing a world-class metro car to the ‘City of joy’!
Key features of the Metro train set:
- Stainless steel car body furnished with world-class interiors and customized air conditioning suiting local requirements.
- Bogie for 750V DC Third Rail application is designed & developed by BEML for the first time.
- IGBT based microprocessor controlled 3 phase asynchronous drive with VVVF (Variable Voltage Variable Frequency) control and regenerative braking for energy saving.
- Train sets operate with ATP/ATO and are interfaced with CBTC signalling system (which is one of the best and latest technologies in the world) to reduce headway, ensure train stopping accuracy and passenger safety.
- Passenger capacity of 2068 persons per train set
- Energy-efficient LED lights
- Automatic audio-visual announcement and display system for passengers
Speaking on the occasion Hota said, “We are on track, as we despatched the last of the 14 trainsets for Kolkata Metro (East-West) project for KMRCL. We have proved our capabilities and expertise in the supply of Metro coaches. An epitome of successful ‘Make in India’ initiative in the rolling stock industry.”
The delivery of the last train set to Kolkata metro has added one more feather in its already decorated cap, as it re-dedicates itself to the cause of self- reliance, as part of the Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyan, which is recently announced by the Hon’ble Prime Minister contributing to Nation’s pride.
(PSU Watch- India's Business News centre that places the spotlight on PSUs, Bureaucracy, Defence and Public Policy is now on Telegram. Join PSU Watch Channel in your Telegram and stay updated)