PSU Watch logo

| BEML posts highest-ever turnover of Rs 3,557 crore during FY 2020-21 |   | NCL extends Rs 10 crore to MP govt for setting up 5 oxygen plants |   | ‘With commercial auction tranche 2, govt moving towards rolling auction of coal mines’ |   | Only one-eighth of India’s target to deploy 2 mn solar pumps achieved so far: IEEFA |  

Body of one miner taken out of flooded Meghalaya mine

PW Bureau

Rescuers used underwater remotely operated vehicle (UROV) to pull the body, which was highly decomposed, to the water surface and then taken out New Delhi: A Navy team finally managed to remove one body from a 370-feet deep flooded coal mine in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills, where 14 other miners have been trapped for more than a month. Rescuers used underwater remotely operated vehicle (UROV) to pull the body, which was highly decomposed, to the water surface and then take it out, officials said, adding that the body has been sent for postmortem examination. The disintegrated body of one of the trapped miners, spotted last week, slipped to the bottom of the main shaft on January 23. The Navy officers are making their best attempts to locate the remains with their unmanned ROV, an official had said.

Rescue efforts still on

In the past week, teams of pump operators from Odhisa Fire Service, Coal India and Kirloskar Brothers have discharged over 81 lakh litres of water from nearby abandoned mines. While relatives said this week they had lost hope that the miners were still alive, rescue efforts in the region continue. The 15 miners were trapped inside the illegal mine on December 13. Earlier this month, rescuers searching for the trapped workers found the body of one person and some skeletons. The Meghalaya government announced Rs 1 lakh interim relief for families of all miners trapped, with the Supreme Court monitoring the case on a weekly basis. Rat-hole mining, which has been banned by India’s environmental court in 2014, is still common in the region despite the ban.