New Delhi/Dibrugarh: Reep Hazarika has taken over as Managing Director (MD) of Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL), a subsidiary company (plant) of GAIL (India) Limited, on Saturday. Prior to taking charge as the Managing Director of BCPL, Hazarika was working as Chief General Manager in the same organisation since 2016. As Chief General Manager of BCPL, Hazarika was heading the overall operation and maintenance of the plant.
Hazarika was recommended for the post of Managing Director of BCPL by a Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) panel in July 2019. He was selected from a list of three candidates, who were interviewed.
Hazarika has completed his schooling from St Edmunds School, Shillong, and has completed his graduation in Chemical Engineering (Honours) from Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani. He also holds a post-graduate diploma in Personnel Management.
Hazarika has over 30 years of experience in the oil refining and petrochemical industry, including Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) and Bharat Oman Refineries Limited (BORL). In addition to this, he had worked with Saudi Aramco Shell Refinery Company (SASREF) in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a globally recognised oil refining joint-venture of giants in the field, Saudi Aramco and Shell. He has successfully worked across different functions, including operations, technical services, projects, planning and programming, environment management, corporate affairs, IMS/ISRS protocol, etc.
Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL), is a subsidiary company of GAIL (India) Limited. BCPL has set up a petrochemical complex at Lepetkata. The complex is spread over 3,000 bighas (approx 1,200 Acres) of land at Lepetkata and is situated at approximately 15 Kilometres away from the Tea City Dibrugarh, Assam.
GAIL (India) Limited is the main promoter of the company with 70 percent of equity participation. The rest 30 percent is shared equally by Oil India Ltd (OIL), Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) and the government of Assam.