New Delhi: To foster competitiveness and acknowledge exceptional performance, the Ministry of Coal has announced the commencement of the Star Rating Registration process for Coal and Lignite Mines for the financial year 2022-23, said the Ministry in a statement on Wednesday. The Star Rating policy aims to evaluate mines based on seven crucial parameters, including Mining Operations, Environment-related factors, Adoption of Technologies, Best Mining Practices, Economic performance, Rehabilitation and Resettlement, Worker-related Compliance, and Safety and security.
The registration process for this year's Star Rating programme began on May 30, with the opening of the Star Rating portal on June 1, said the statement. The response has been overwhelming, as 376 mines have already applied for participation as of June 19, marking the highest number of participating mines since the program's inception in 2018-19, the statement added. The Ministry anticipates a further increase in registrations as the portal will remain open until June 30.
To ensure comprehensive assessment, participating mines are encouraged to undertake a self-evaluation process, which must be completed by July 31. The top 10 percent of the highest-scoring mines will undergo further validation through inspections conducted by a committee, said the statement. The remaining 90 percent of mines will undergo an online review process, while all participants can contribute to the evaluation by reviewing other mines. The comprehensive review will be finalised by October 3, the statement added.
Impartiality and transparency are paramount in the assessment process. Therefore, the evaluation will be conducted by the Coal Controller's Organisation, ensuring fairness and credibility. A Coal Controller review will subsequently take place, leading to the publication of the final results by January 31, 2024, the statement said.
The Star Rating Programme is a significant step towards elevating the overall performance and sustainability of coal and lignite mining in the country. By promoting responsible mining practices and driving competitiveness, the Ministry of Coal aims to enhance the sector's efficiency and contribute to a more sustainable future, said the statement. Further, the statement highlighted that the mines will be awarded ratings ranging from Five Star to NO Star, recognising their achievements and encouraging continuous improvement.