New Delhi: Indian Railways stands ahead with 3.82 million tonnes (MT) in freight loading services in August this year as compared to the same period of the previous year despite several challenges due to Coronavirus. In a press release, the Ministry of Railways said that as on August 19, 2020, the freight loading was 3.11 million tonnes which is higher than last year for the same date (2.97 million tonnes). On August 19, 2020, the Indian Railways has earned Rs 306.1 crore from freight loading which is Rs 5.28 crore higher than last year for the same date (300.82 crore).
In the Month of August 2020 till August 19, 2020, the total freight loading is 57.47 million tonnes which are higher than last year for the same period (53.65 million tonnes). In the Month of August 2020 till August 19 Indian Railways earned Rs 5461.21 crore from freight loading which is Rs 25.9 crore higher than last year for the same period (5435.31 crore).
Upon Prime Minister’s call to improve logistics in the country, Indian Railways has been making huge strides in increasing the speed and volume of goods carried. Indian Railways is going to promote Railways’ freight service, making traders, businesses and suppliers aware of the benefits associated with transportation through Indian Railways.
- Economical transportation due to the subsidies provided
- Prompt and efficient delivery of goods
- Safe transportation, ensuring goods reach their destination without damage
- Environment-friendly method of transportation - will reduce the carbon footprint
- Introduction of a special train like Kisan Rail, accruing additional benefits to farmers and keeping perishables fresh for consumption
- These promotions can be done in collaboration with Industry Associations.
- Focus on how manufacturers and wholesalers will be benefitted as they will get their stock timely for Diwali
- Indian Railways will publicise direct contact numbers and website details which can be accessed by traders for transporting freight, enhancing their ease.
- Indian Railways can share human interest stories, highlighting how the common man is able to easily procure products for his daily needs and benefiting from the efficient services of Indian Railways.
Some of the major novel freight initiatives of Indian Railways are as follows:
- Business development units set up at all three levels – Division, Zones, Railways Board
- Doubled the speed of freight trains from 23 kmph to 46 kmph
- Timetabled parcel trains started from March 30 – 20 pairs
- Opening up of export traffic to Bangladesh for parcels and containers - July 10
- Opening up of export traffic to Bangladesh for Automobiles – August 12
- Kisan Rail introduced from Devlali (Nashik) to Danapur (Patna) – multiple stoppages, multiple commodities, multiple parties- 2 trips already run on August 7 and August 14
- Freight cargo express trains - Vyapaar Mala Express trains
- Tariff and non-tariff initiatives to make rail transportation more attractive
- Good sheds being improved on mission mode - 405 identified
- Pilot project launched with ‘Department of Posts’ to provide door-to-door service to customers.
(PSU Watch- India's Business News centre that places the spotlight on PSUs, Bureaucracy, Defence and Public Policy is now on Telegram. Join PSU Watch Channel in your Telegram and stay updated)